Friday, July 5, 2019

The Wise Grasshopper




Grasshopper,
this bundled month,
I made homemade apricot jam rather
than spend time on edits.
Editing my book is like a patriotic parade,
with funereal slowness.
A sad march.
Characters are intimate friends.
I’m sensitive to their needs.
They want me to linger.

But I’m going swimming.
Plug in the fan,
turn on the air.
I’m crocheting a blanket.
Reading a book with dreary characters.
Local play rehearsals are my new diversion.
Town had a historic bell-ringing celebration.
Glad I could make it.
There’s the woman’s group,
the city meeting at Elks,
and of course,
church.

Jittery dogs need a walk.
Reruns on television.
It doesn’t seem fair to repeat quiz shows,
though my answers sound impressive.
I’d rather be an ear to a friend.
Their drama better than mine.
I’m not complaining.
But there’s something about this summer,
That’s kept me praying.

A sudden shift in normal--
perhaps just the alignment of the stars--
in the warmed-up sky.
One neighbor sailed away forever.
Our home shook on the Fourth of July.
You were here,
 as if to warn us,
centered on the gate.

Anyway, labels.
I need to make stickers for jam jars.

Go work on my manuscript?
What is wrong with you?
No wonder I took your photo.

7 comments:

  1. So many summer diversions.
    Although the new season of Stranger Things just came out so at least I'm not watching reruns...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reruns are like a crabgrass on the lawn of life when we consider all the options available. Books in various genres, cable shows, movie rentals and even the old theater shows. Entertainment isn't hard to come by, especially for people like me. I find humor in a lone grasshopper. LOL

      Delete
  2. Oh My Goodness, what a wonderful poem, so much to read and think about and read again. You are fabulous !
    parsnip x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks angryparsnip. Takes one fabulouso to know one.

      Delete
  3. Lovely poem, keep writing, shall look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete