Monday, October 28, 2019

Tricks or Treats?




Halloween is a fun time to celebrate life. Death should wait somewhere far away, out of town, on a hill, under a tree, behind a gate, in a cemetery. Sadly, not everyone agrees. Even walking by a few homes here in my neighborhood gives me the creeps.
This is an old, actual, cemetery in Julian, California
 There are homes around here that could compete with this view.

Needless to say, that doesn’t mean we don't honor and remember those who have gone before us. Though our loved ones remain in our hearts and walk with God, it's a special blessing to have days on the calendar set aside for spiritual reflection.  I'm sure you probably know that faith-filled memorials follow all the trick-or-treat hoopla on Hallows' eve. 

November 1st is the day of the children and All the Saints. 
All Soul’s Day or Day of the Dead is on November 2. 

My favorite part of a holiday celebration can best be defined as wicked. As in, sugary cupcakes, chocolates, nuts, cookies and maybe a pumpkin latte. We have a basket brimming with the (killer) snacks near the door. Though our decorations are minimal, we look forward to seeing the cute costumes at our door. When a five-year old Wonder Woman shouts, 'Trick or treat', it melts our hearts. Little soldiers, firemen and tiny ghouls add to the fun of the evening. 
 Happy Halloween!
How about you? Do you use vats of chocolate syrup for fake blood? Do you like to decorate with bats and rats, carved pumpkins, spider webs and coffins on the lawn? Laughing skeletons and headstones? Glow in the dark witches? Ghosts flying from your trees? Signs that say 'Boo'? Yikes. It's scary out there!
 What's your favorite part of Halloween?

4 comments:

  1. I'm never around when trick or treaters are on the prowl, so I can't comment on that side of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't done anything for Halloween in years. We don't even get trick-or-treaters anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Trick or Treaters here. The walk up my hill is not worth it.
    I loved when my kids where small and we walked them around, So wonderful.
    Have fun.
    parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  4. No children on my block. I may have three that live on the next street. Other than thatt it is the M & M dark chocolate covered peanuts. It's the only time I buy them.

    ReplyDelete