Friday, September 5, 2014

Hanging All Over Sam


"After all these years, I see that I was mistaken about Eve in the beginning; it is better to live outside the Garden with her than inside it without her."

                                                                                                               From-Adam's Diary

I think he's trying not to laugh at my skirt.


"When the heart has something to say the product is literature, no matter whether the phrasing loyally follows accepted literary forms or splendidly ignores them, as the freshet ignores the dam."

From- Autobiography of Mark Twain, Vol. 2 (2013), p. 188-89. Dictated 29 August 1906.


I love when a famous author speaks to me. Even if we disagree about adjectives and God, the immortality of Twain’s articulate words are transcending time, creating current connections in my life and in anyone wanting to read his writing. Many famous authors communicate through the mists of war, or a progressive fog and curtains of translation, across miles of virgin scrub brush, sage, parched landscapes, flooded valleys and frozen tundra. They enter through the front door of our souls and stay with us forever. All we have to do is open a book. Did any writer speak to you lately?

7 comments:

  1. You know, I have not read the autobiography. I should remedy that. Terrific shot, Eve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My blog friends often move me with their every day observations.


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning! I want to thank you for taking the time to come to visit me AND for leaving a comment. Many people pass by, move on...but thank you.

    Just last night, my husband and I were enjoying some Mark Twain. It is stunning to feel the WIT of an author long gone, and feel as if you are joking around with a friend, sitting right next to you. Lately for me, Seamus Heaney has been my reading crush; the man's world of Irish life speaks to me. I do not have a drop of Irish blood in me, but somehow, his visuals are so clear about humanity as a whole.

    What would we do without the written word, or even oral tradition? We are history, novels, poetry in the flesh.

    Enjoy a great read this weekend! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jodi Picoult ‘speaks’ to me all the time! I just love her writing. I recently finished Lone Wolf and have now moved on to House Rules – two very diverse subjects but both beautiful in their own way.
    Mr. Twain is certainly pointing at your skirt, but I’m sure he would never be so rude as to laugh at a lady's choice of clothing. :) It’s a very nice skirt by the way.
    Happy Saturday. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Marian Keyes! I'm on chapter 32 of Rachel's Holiday, and boy does the story speak to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do love Mark Twain. Another author that's spoken to me with his humour and wit is Stephen Leacock. I absolutely love him! He was a Canadian author of short stories and vignettes...I recommend him highly. He was hysterical! I think he died in the forties. I remember going to see his house in Orilla, Ontario when I was a teenager. It was amazing.
    One of my favourite modern authors is David Sedaris. I have all his books and every one of them is really funny.
    I also love Alastair MacCleod, Oscar Wilde and Ann-Marie MacDonald...there are so many authors that have spoken to me it's hard to narrow it down.
    This Stephen Leacock quote really speaks to me,"I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

    ReplyDelete