Monday, March 11, 2019

Ten More Days Until Spring!!


Signs of Spring


This Monday in March,
I searched for evidence.
A comforting reassurance hidden behind turbulent clouds.
The garden fairies were sure to be shivering,
But the sound of tiny wings fluttered above.
Their voices subdued,
as if humbled by the weather.
Perhaps working overtime and exhausted,
paintbrushes dry,
canvases sodden with months of rain,
they hide in the wild clover.

Stitching petals in the overgrowth,
behind evergreens and tall grass,

on the other side of the gazebo,
they create the magic.






I noticed small hints.
Wee colorful scraps,
vivid shreds,
akin to short pieces of yarn,
swept into the dustpan after crafting.
They popped out near the rosemary.

Tiny bouquets of pink,

sprouting bulbs,
a single African daisy.
Each a smile bursting from the soil;
The promised harbingers of Spring.

Physical hope,
here in my garden.









--Eve Gaal

14 comments:

  1. Spring is coming.
    Unless you live in the Midwest, then you're about to get a bunch of snow dumped on you.
    Good thing we don't live in the Midwest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alex, thanks for reminding me that others have it much worse than I do. :)

      Delete
  2. Lovely poetry and images!

    Today we're having more snow falling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're definitely an optimist. It's so cloudy and cool here today it has me longing for my dry, desert heat. Lovely poem though. I Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mari. I took these pictures this morning and the weather is looking gloomier by the minute. Thanks so much for tweeting!

      Delete
  4. This is a wonderful post.
    It has been hot, hard freeze, snow, warm, really warm and now a 10 degree drop in temperature. It is February/March in Tucson !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to read your poem.
    hope, spring is coming.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post.thank you so much.Love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two weeks ago the Painted Ladies were migrating through this area. I'm sorry to say they lose a great many on the highways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed surfing
    around your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing
    to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I?m not that much of a online reader to be
    honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and
    bookmark your site to come back later on. Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I've been following your website for a while
    now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx!
    Just wanted to say keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete