Sunday, August 4, 2019

Summer Collaborations


The following poem is written by a famous poet who inspired me many years ago. To me, his poems are like snapshots. This one, a type of summer photo. While folks are at the beach, or visiting iconic landmarks, I am enjoying a seasonal harvest of fruitfulness. 


This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
The plums in the photo came from my neighbor's yard.
They reminded me of this short, succinct poem by William Carlos Williams. 

the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold


A week before, my generous neighbor gave us apricots, which I made into jars of delicious, jam. The plums were made into jam too, even dumplings. They were exquisite. Each, a fresh, but tart poem. 
A sort of collaboration--she grew them--I cooked them. 

Which leads me to a digression about the family play I'm co-writing with two local authors. First, we had several table readings to make sure everything flowed and sounded right, and then we had auditions! Talk about peachy!

We have a professional director and a wonderful cast. It's called The Legends of Wildomar-Tall Tales. Tickets are  available at our site, and all  proceeds go to a local children's hospital. The performances will be held September 7th and 14th at 7pm.
 (Before you know it, summer will be over, and I'll be back to writing and marketing my books. Still fruitful, but alone.)😐
 Follow us here: StageLight Playwrights
Isn't life a bowl of cherries?

So live and laugh at it all!! 
Have you ever collaborated or co-written anything? 
Isn't summer fruit an inspiration? 
Can you come see our play? 






6 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful, your shared production of the play, and yes I used to write plays for the town church, usually at the time of the Harvest Supper, and it was great fun 🌹

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Writing is typically a solitary endeavor but this is so different and fun too!Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. This old woman thinks, and it is only my opinion, that you write from the heart about things that have appeal to everyone, and keep learning the 'how to'. When I began, my poems were edited so much that they became a dirty rag of the poems they once were, but I kept going and improved. I was helped by learning with Alison Chisholm, a poet who judges competitions throughout the UK. Perhaps you have a poetry writing course in your area, run by an accomplished poet. I have always learned from such things and keep writing. Maybe look for Alison's book on The Craft of Writing Poetry. I should forget about grammar, poetry does not respond to strict grammatical rules, and some of my poems are free verse and others have rhyming endings or slant rhymes. It's how the poems feel, how they come to me. I wish you every success, Eve 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really great! Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete