Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Transitioning into Fall

“And gathering swallows twitter in the skies.”

From: Ode to Autumn by John Keats



Many friends look forward to the end of summer and the cooler temperatures. Fall is a warning that it’s going to be cold. Winter is on the way. It’s like a yellow light telling us to prepare to stop.

Or shop…for Christmas, before the bad weather and crowds make it difficult. 

A time when I’m not sure I’ll need a sweater, but should take one anyway. The leaves change and most of them are blown down the street. Frightening Halloween decorations fill store shelves and spiced pumpkin lattes are the rage at the coffee house. Restaurant menus reflect the harvest with less salad and more soup.

It’s a time to let go of open-toed shoes and sleeveless tops. I hang up my beach towel and fold away swimsuits. It’s getting darker and the days end faster. Instead of evening rays of light, we turn on lamps. Instead of outdoor activities, we turn towards cooking, reading, crocheting, sewing, television and computer games. The sky is bluer than ever and yet the forecast is a calculated cornucopia of various predictions. The world does a quick-change backstage for the third act, exactly like a star!

Even the birds fly faster. They make their nests. I hear them communicating as if to say they are making progress. Maybe this year I will embrace this amber-hued transition with the same joy as the flock outside my window.  It’s not just about their nests. They are pulling me in, making sure I notice how hard they work. They entertain, spread their wings and chirp. I’m pretty sure they want me to love this season as much as they do. Shamed into the truth, I have no excuses.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, a lovely, meaningful time of year and beautifully described. I’m no Keats, but I do write poetry, and this makes me realise that while I treasure seasonal poetry I have never written any, I must make the time to do so 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did indeed describe it well. Although no need for sweaters here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written.

    It is that time of year in which I go out with a hoodie first thing in the morning, and it spends the bulk of the day in my backpack before coming out at night.

    ReplyDelete