Monday, May 9, 2022

Three Wonderful Reasons to Be Busy

 


The last few weeks have been busy weeks for several reasons.

1. I’m participating in a couple of online writing groups that offer prizes, and print the best stories in their anthologies. One of these groups is a critique group that meets with zoom. While it’s fun to read other stories, we’re supposed to critique them. This is where I’m having some trouble. You see, I don’t think of myself as an editor. In my opinion, writers are creative, and who am I to tell someone they shouldn’t use clichés, or they should think of a different word for ‘very’?

I say, let it flow, and if the story doesn’t jive with readers, then maybe they’ll write another one. ( I do). Eventually, they can pay an editor to fix mistakes and overused expressions, but honestly, I don’t think I’m cut out for critique groups. I’ve tried three different critique groups and felt uncomfortable in all of them. One was in Rancho Mirage, one was in La Quinta, and another in Temecula. All the writers were amazing.  Some wrote science fiction, memoir, steam-punk or mystery. One guy wrote poems. Seriously, I enjoyed hearing every story, but I write in different genres, mostly, romantic adventures, and faith-based fables, nevertheless, everyone has always given me wonderful, constructive advice.

On top of all that, if I missed one meeting, I’d lose the flow. Characters were introduced, and there were new twists in the plot. It was horrifying, for me anyway, trying to tell these artists, anything about their creation, since I had skipped a large chunk of valuable information. And yet, it was obvious the attendees would thirst for any input, or glimmer of feedback we could offer.😟

Anyway, I’m sticking to the online groups for a while, especially since a couple of my stories won a prize! Awesome group of writers, fabulous stories and I'm proud to be part of this incredible process called Bardsy. My story can be found in an anthology titled; Love is Blind, and you can order a copy here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09XZBNMK5


2. I also have a new column at In2ition Magazine!

Watch out world, because this gorgeous magazine is not your mother's coffee-table periodical.  It's about empowering women, so I shared a short bold scene from a day in my life. 


 It’s called Apple Blossoms and you can read it here: https://www.in2itionmagazine.com/issues

3. We are remodeling our bathroom. This idea of a safer, less slippery floor has grown into an immense project that has kicked us out of our bedroom. It’s like a colossal trilogy that never seems to end, may have a happy ending, but I'm ready to flush. 😊

Thank you for sticking with me on this long post. Have you ever joined a critique group? Did you enjoy it? Have you remodeled your bathroom? Is this really May?   


4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the column and the anthology!
    I feel bad critiquing others' works. And I'm not very good at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex. I'm horrid at critiquing a work of art. It's like telling Jackson Pollock how to paint or something. LOL

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on the story and column! Do not think of yourself as an editor, but an astute reader offering a review of what was good and what could be :"tweaked." That is what a critique is anyway. An editor is something different. I belonged to the Desert Writers Guild for years. Rosemary Evans was a delight and a good guide. She wrote for travel mags and Western magazines under the name of Desert Rose. I had to prove I could do a man's job to get a huge raise. I did it by going into an economically depressed area and collecting a payment and also repossessing a television. Tweeted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mari for your kind, heartfelt response and comments! You are wonderful in so many ways!

      Delete